Thursday, May 24, 2012

Beaver Pond Journal 2009

Journal entry foe August 9, 2009  "Arrived at the beaver pond about 10:15 A.M. under a threatening sky. Made a quick check of the pond then returned to the truck for my camera gear. Located my tripod over the flagged alder stumps, then set up my equipment using measurements documented in my journal. Once the set up was complete I shot three series of seven images for the 2009 beaver pond panorama.
I wasn't pleased with today's conditions, very hazy and lots of wind. My polarizing filter didn't do much to cut the haze, but did help with the glare from the wet vegetation.
Clouds were spitting a little rain while I was packing my gear. I hope to improve on today's images with another shoot before the end of the month, but at least I have something for 2009 if I'm not able to get back."

Beaver pond on August 9, 2009

Journal entry for August 30, 2009  "Arrived at the abandoned beaver pond about 10:15 A.M. After parking the truck I walked down the road to check out the pond before setting up my equipment. The first thing I noticed was the remains of the old dam had washed out even more.
Passing the dam I was scanning around the pond as I walked along when my peripheral vision detected a sizable track in a muddy section of the current shoreline. Staring down at the track I could hardly believe my eyes, four toes, no claw marks and a pad. The only conclusion could be a cat; retractable claws and a pad with four toes. Mary and I measured the track, 3 3/4 x 3 3/4". It must be a cougar track, there have been many sighting over the last few decades. I photographed the track plus a second track that was a good imprint. The tracks appeared to be quite fresh. (On September 7th while adjusting one of the cougar track photos I had to leave the office for a moment. Upon returning I was looking at the photo from the far side of the room and I was able to make out a nearly imperceptible fifth toe imprint. So, it wasn't a cougar track after all but rather a black bear, probably a yearling. The unanswered question is why aren't the claw marks visible?
Found my set up location then went to work getting my tripod level and the panoramic equipment in place and leveled. I didn't record any of the 2007 panorama set up measurements but did so for the 2008 panorama. I shot two panoramas in 2008 and I chose the wrong one for my set up measurements when I shot the August 9, 2009 panorama. Now I have recorded the set up parameters and will shoot all future of the beaver pond using them. My goal is to shoot this same panorama set up during the month of August for as long as I'm able.

Beaver pond on August 30, 2009

Before leaving I shot a few images of the pond using my 15mm f2.8 fisheye lens using both horizontal and vertical formats.


The fisheye shots

 Click on any image for a larger version

You can see more images of the beaver pond by visiting my website

Thanks for visiting my journal,
Bunch




No comments:

Post a Comment