Monday, April 30, 2012

Beaver Pond Journal 2002-2007

Journal entry for November 11, 2002    Mary and I took the day off to visit Moose River Plains. We had driven in to the end of the road at the smaller Indian Lake. The journal entry reads: "During our return drive back towards the Plains we stopped at the unnamed beaver pond near Squaw Lake trailhead. Mary and I needed to stretch our legs, plus the beaver pond looked interesting enough to photograph, which we did."

 Beaver pond in Moose River Plains Wild Forest after a cold rain

Journal entry for June 24, 2007    "Drove on to Otter Brook then towards the end of the road at Indian Lake. Stopped at the beaver pond just east of the trail to Squaw Lake. The beaver had abandoned the pond and the dam is now in disrepair. The water level is down somewhere between 2-3 feet. It occurs to me as I write this journal entry I should begin a photo documentation of the pond reverting back to solid ground."

Journal entry for August 19, 2007    "About 10 A.M. Mary and I stopped at the large beaver pond east of Squaw Lake trailhead. The pond had been abandoned by its resident beavers two years ago. The dam has given away dropping the water level over three feet. It occurred to me it would be interesting to photo document the succession process from year to year.
As best my memory would let me, I framed an image similar to some I have taken in the past. The light overcast sky provided more contrast than the camera's sensor could record so I shot six bracketed exposures to try combining in Photoshop. While I was picking up my equipment I noticed some deer tracks in the mud and photographed them for stock.

The Abandoned Beaver Pond

Drove on to Indian Lake, which was crowded again this week. Turned around and, drove back to the campsite at the top of the ridge above Squaw Lake, where we ate lunch last week. We ate lunch there again and explored the immediate area around the campsite.
After lunch we returned to the beaver pond. I had decided to try shooting a panorama of the pond. Set up my tripod over a cluster of  four beaver cut alders. After adjusting my camera, I shot a series of eight images that assembled perfectly to provide a panorama that encompassed a view of 220°."

2007 Panorama

 Click on any image for a larger version
.
More beaver pond images can be viewed at the Adirondack Beaver Pond Gallery on my website

Thanks for visiting my journal,
Bunch

No comments:

Post a Comment