Thursday, November 1, 2012

Beaver Pond Journal 2012 #2

Journal entry for July 29, 2012  Arrived at the end of the road at the new Squaw Lake trailhead at 9:15 A.M.  Mary and I walked back to the abandoned beaver pond to look over the current condition of the pond. There was no noticeable change over the last two weeks.
     The sun was already high in the sky and the light was harsh. Not very pleasing light for photographing. I was hoping that some clouds would cover the sun to tone down the harsh light to provide less contrast. Checked the set up pin cache, it hadn't been disturbed. On the way back to the truck I shot four images of a pair of silver-bordered fritillary butterflies feeding on goldenrod nectar near the dam. Later clouds were building to the west, but they were slow moving so Mary and I ate lunch while I waited for better light.



Silver-bordered Fritillay Butterflies

     After lunch the light wasn't improving any so I decided to try a few shots from the dam set up pin. Finishing the dam shots I thought it would be a good idea to get the equipment set up for the panorama, when clouds covered the sun I'd be ready.



Remains of a Portion of the Dam


Same Shot as Above From a Higher Perspective


A Detail of the Remains Of the Pond

      By 1:30 P.M. The light was still harsh, but I decided to shoot a panorama series, then see what I could do with it in Lightroom and/or Photoshop. Waited for better light to shoot a second series. The surrounding clouds continued to avoid the bright sun so I shot a second series in the harsh light as a backup. When I finished the second series I shot three images of my panoramic set up.


Panorama of the Abandoned Beaver Pond in Harsh Light

     At 2:30 P.M. the sun was finally covered by a thick cloud. Better light but still not great. Shot the third panorama series of the day.




The Abandoned Beaver Pond In Better Light

     I'm considering a detail of one of the pond's dead standing trees, so I shot a few images for consideration. I'd like to shoot the selected tree until it falls. To do a good documentation of the pond's succession I need to designate more detail locations and shoot them year after year.




Detail of Dead Standing Timber

Click on any image to view larger versions 

You can view more Adirondack beaver pond images on my website:


More abandoned beaver pond posts are on the way.

Thanks for visiting my website,
Bunch


          

No comments:

Post a Comment